Friday, July 30, 2010

Sanctuary

According to a completely unreliable source, a person will spend about 1 and a half years in the bathroom by the age of 75. That's a lot of time! So I say, why not make it a beautiful space? Plus if you're like me and you have a husband who follows you around like an adorable but persistent puppy dog, it's just about the only time you have alone. The bathroom is sometimes my refuge, so naturally, I have spent a lot of time imagining what my perfect master bath would look like.

My dream master bathroom is bright and airy with contrasting dark hardwood floors, white paneling, and carrera marble on any flat countertop you can pin down.


This picture is from Pottery Barn. I feel a little lame for loving it. Remember that episode of Friends when Pheobe gets upset when she finds out her apothecary coffee table is from Pottery Barn? I can relate. But I love the way this looks more like a piece of furniture than a bathroom sink and cabinet. I also like the deep wood color with the marble countertops and I'm envious of the door to the outside. Chris thinks I'm weird for liking this, but wouldn't it be nice to walk out from your bathroom on a misty morning in a warm robe (or in your birthday suit if that's your thing!) and look out over your beautiful Maine salt marsh?



This bathroom, from the Spring 2009 issue of Beautiful Homes, has a very similar look. I prefer the wide plank paneling in the Pottery Barn picture rather than the bead board, but you get the idea. I really like the idea of having wood paneling on the bathtub, although I realize how impractical this sounds. I don't care. I need it. The only other thing I would change is the bathtub itself. I would like it to be undermounted with carrera marble over it.



Now don't get scared. I don't really like this bathroom very much. The only reason I put this picture up is because it shows the idea of having a frameless glass enclosed shower adjacent to the bathtub. Saves space and can look really cute. The only other thing I like about this picture is the small niche in the shower for holding soap, shampoo, etc.



And yes, I want to jump on the bandwagon and install one of these adorable old fashioned bathtub faucets. They're just so darling! How could I resist?

I hope you enjoyed your quick visit to my dream master bathroom/sanctuary. If it ends up looking as nice as it looks in my head, I will be sure beat to the 1 and a half year mark in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment