Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Let's Take a Cruise


With 3,478 miles of tidal shoreline, Maine has the most ocean coastline of any state in the continental United States. This means that unless you happen to live in Alaska, there is no better place in America to get out on the ocean, relax, and enjoy your own piece of salt water solitude. It's not surprising then that Maine has developed a strong nautical culture including lobster fishing, coastal vacationing and ship building.

Growing up I have always dreamed about someday owning a boat, and as long as I can remember these dreams have been of classically designed yachts ranging from (and probably covering everything in between) Herreshoff H 12 1/2, Shields, and when I'm feeling more ambitious the Morris M36 and Hinckley DS42. These four boats are sailboats, because for as long as I can recall there was no doubt in my mind that the only boat worth having -- especially if I was going to moor it in a beautiful Maine harbor -- was a sailboat.

The last two summers I have been racing
Tartan Tens on Lake Michigan, and although the racing has been amazing, I've started to realize in much greater detail the amount of work that goes into not only maintaining, but preparing and tidying up a sailboat for just a simple day's cruise. My mind has started to betray every instinct I've known my whole life, and dream that maybe a power boat is the way to best soak up the sun and enjoy the cool salty Maine ocean breeze on a summer's day.

Luckily for me, graceful lines and classic attention to detail are not limited exclusively to the realm of sailboats. And not long after changing my view on powerboats, I quickly fell in love with the T29R on the Hinckley website (long a go to for encouraging my sailboat dreaming).

Recently I found Grey Barn Boatworks, builders of custom center console boats, and now I have new visions! So take a look at my most recent dreams, plan a trip to come on over to visit us in the Pine Tree State and we'll take you out on a coastline cruise ... just give us a few years to get the house and the boat.


No comments:

Post a Comment